“ Our primary purpose is to accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide.”
- 20 minute computer adaptive test used to assess reading ability.
- Tracks reading growth
- Provides student with a personalised reading range called the ZPD, and teachers with data to monitor student progress.
Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD)
A range of book levels recommended for each student based on their reading ability. The student has free rein to choose books from within their entire ZPD range.
Can range between 0.2 – 13.5, calculated using two main factors:
- Average sentence length
- Vocabulary Difficulty
This is related to content and appropriateness.
- LY = lower years, approx. age 5-8 (KS1)
- MY = middle years, approx. age 9-13 (KS2/3)
- UY = upper years, approx. age 14+ (KS4)
Based on word count are awarded on a pro rata basis according to quiz success
Renaissance Accelerated Reader
- A database of over 27,000 book quizzes
- All quizzed books have a Book Level
- An estimate of the reading difficulty of the text
- Based on average sentence length and the difficulty of words
- Ranges between Book Levels of 0.2-13.5
Teachers monitor pupils’ progress
- Accelerated Reader provides instant feedback and tracks all scores
- Teachers monitor quiz results and provide encouragement and guidance
- Students aim to average 85% or above on their comprehension quizzes. This indicates good comprehension and will lead to greater progress in reading ability
- Parents can track their children’s reading from home using the website Home Connect
- Add email addresses and receive instant feedback on quiz results
- The Bookshelf shows all books read and quizzed on by the student for Accelerated Reader
- AR BookFinder is a search engine for all books with Accelerated Reader quizzes
- It can be accessed through Home Connect
- Quiz Search to see if a book has an AR quiz
- Use Advanced Search to check using various book criteria such as book level or topic